Get the most out of your Xtreme Indoor Karing Experience
Don't expect miracles the first time round. Firstly, at the Go-kart track you are in a race, and this takes a different set of skills than driving your every day car.
But once you have mastered your Go-kart there are a number of tricks and tips you can apply to get yourself to front of the pack.
- Knowing the track will count in your favour, so if there is an opportunity to do a warm-up or a test lap, make use of it. You will get an idea of how tight the turns are and where the parts of the track are that could possibly trip you up. This warm-up lap will help you plan ahead.
- The first tip is that you operate your vehicle as smoothly as possible, jumping on the acceleratoer and then jumping on the brakes as you feel you need them will actually cost you time because the car is operating in a jerky fashion rather than smoothly, causing it to lose it's momentum.
- Stay in contol of your front tires this will keep you heading in the direction you need to go, as soon as your fron tires slip you run the risk of spinning out of control and ending up against the barrier losing precious seconds.
- Remember to take turns from the outside. Whichever direction the track curves you need to be on the outside of the lane which will allow you to retain your speed more effectivley than if you you turned against the inside shoulder.
- Try to avoid skidding and sliding as much as possible as this will slow down your kart and take valuable seconds off your time.
- Relax and allow your body weight to shift along with the go-kart, the will aid in the keeping of the momentum and help supply neccesary traction.
- Lastly, Make sure you are enjoying every moment of the experience. This supposed to be a fun outing after all.
How can children benefit from exposure to Go-Karting
Go-karting is not only about winning, and racing around a track at as high a speed as you can get out your Go-kart. Sure, it ultimately is a race and winning is the reason behind entering the race, but lets look at the other advantages people, and especially children can get out of it.
- Confidence - a child will learn to control a vehicle on his own, and this is a skill that will provide him with confidence.
- A new skill that the child will be taught.
- Better driving skills - although this is an indoor circuit and the ultimate goal is to win a race, a child will learn better driving skills by experiencing the reactions of the vehicle at speed. Courteous driving as an adult is one of the outcomes that can be achieved by exposing children to go karting.
- A better understanding of competition.
- Develop sportsmanship and competitiveness.
- Increased awareness of surroundingd is a big benefit.
- A parent will also be able to see how their children fare and use the situation as a growth or bonding exercise.
What can parents do to ensure the safety of the child and ensure fun?
- Check out the cart yourself first, make sure it has a roll bar and side bars.
- Make sure the cart is equipped with adequate safety harnesses
- Find out if you can try the vehicle that your child is going to ride first.
- Observe a race in progress and explain to your child as it unfolds.
- Remind your child you are there for fun.
This page was last updated on 10 May 2016.